Below is a review of Cheska Robinson's article titled,
"Growth Mindset in the Classroom," found in the publication Science Scope in 2017. The article outlines strategies teachers can
use in the classroom to promote a growth mindset.
Robinson
writes to an audience of teachers and offers tips that can help promote growth
mindset in the classroom community. The
first tip she offers is to teach students about neuroplasticity and how the
brain can change by forming new and stronger connections with experiences such
as practicing. She urges teachers to use
pictures or videos of what brain activity looks like (Robinson, 2017, p. 18).
Other ways that teachers can
incorporate growth mindset into their classroom norms are to use learning
strategies such as free recall and summarization. She argues that free recall activities in
which students list everything they know about a learning objective prime the
brain to acknowledge that there is always a starting point to reference when
filling in gaps. She also encourages the
use of summary sheets in which students summarize the learning objectives of
the previous week. Both activities encourage
students to take ownership of their learning and can build stronger neurological
connections in the brain (Robinson, 2017, p.19)
One big
facet of growth mindset is learning from mistakes. Robinson emphasizes that teachers should
normalize mistakes and failures within their classrooms. Some good strategies that teachers can use
are to have posters on the classroom walls that highlight and reflect on the
importance of making mistakes, as well as showing encouraging videos of
successful people who experienced failures on their road to success (Robinson,
2017, p.19).
Reframing
language is also a big key component of instilling a growth mindset. Robinson argues that teachers often assume
that students with naturally understand expectations around time and effort,
however it is imperative that teachers explain these expectations to the
students. Teachers should always stay
focused on the process of learning and not just the outcomes. Other reframing techniques are centered
around learning positive "self talk."
These techniques can be made more accessible through posters or visual
reminders of how to change our self talk to reflect a growth mindset. For example, instead of "I give
up," a student can use a visual reminder to instead say, "I'll use a
different strategy that I learned."
These reframing techniques help students develop self confidence skills
and should be encouraged to be utilized everyday (Robinson, 2017, p. 20).
Students
should be given opportunities to track their own progress throughout skill
development in order to see their growth and become more empowered
students. As they reach certain
benchmarks, they should also incorporate other reframing skills such as stating
a learning objective as "I can..."
This reinforces the idea of personal growth and ownership in their
individual learning experiences (Robinson, 2017, p. 20).
Robinson
concludes with listing some additional resources available for teachers to
use. Some of the resources include a
growth mindset lesson plan within Khan Academy, ClassDoJo, and Train Ugly. The Train Ugly website offers teachers free
lesson plans and a printable survey.
Implications to my study:
It was reaffirming for me to read
this article as I have implemented many of these strategies into my daily
classroom routine throughout the period of my research study. I have helped the students reflect on their
learning processes, set learning goals, track their own progress, and modeled
positive self talk and reframing language.
Another strategy that I have used is to share growth mindset videos
through Khan Academy and other resources that reflect personal growth through
failures and mistakes.
I checked out the Train Ugly
website and found a lot of useful resources.
I took the survey, which is similar to the survey I created for my
research study. It was a little more
user friendly that the one I created, however I believe that my survey was more
appropriate for students in a tier 2 level intervention math class.
References:
ROBINSON, C. (2017). Growth mindset
in the classroom. Science Scope,
41(2), 18-21
I also focused on reflecting on an article that offered strategies to support my research. At this point we have focused so much on understanding our concepts, it is important to read about other people’s success. Reading about the strategies other people use to acquire the same goal is very efficient and necessary to understand the progress already made in your research. What really stuck with me from your article is the practice of normalizing mistakes. I agree on the importance of students knowing that a mistake should not be embarrassing, but taken as a learning opportunity. I watched this video a few weeks ago on a woman who supported this idea. If you haven’t already seen it, it is definitely worth the watch.
ReplyDeleteLink: https://www.teachingchannel.org/videos/math-test-grading-tips
Also, thank you for sharing the resources you found from your article to support teachers. I will definitely check them out!